Skip to main content

Finding Motivation

 


Happy Tuesday! I normally post on Mondays, but we had yesterday off from school, so I decided to push back my post for the "first" day in my week. Since starting medical school, I have been thinking more about productivity and motivation. I think everyone has their ups and downs with these two, but as a professional student, I notice them more. I am not always 100% motivated, which is probably pretty normal, and that is ok! It is hard being a med student (or any other student, or in any career), and living in this world that hustle culture has become so prevalent. 

It has become easier for me to recognize when motivation is low. I think this is a good tool to have for yourself, so you can start to learn a better balance of productivity and mental rest. It is definitely hard to take care of low motivation in medical school when there is always something you can be learning, studying and reviewing. I am making it a point to take breaks and have better balance, and you should too. Burnout is real in the healthcare field, and really any other field. I am not saying it is 100% preventable, but you can take the little time to start to recognize when you are feeling it.

Here is when I know that motivation is low, and I am feeling burnt out:

-I have no attention span to do anything or study.

-I keep getting the same practice question or Anki (med school flashcard) card wrong.

-I can only work for so long before I feel like I have brain fog (I call this feeling "not having a brain", haha).

There is probably more here, and you could probably think of some for yourself if you dig deep, but these are the big ones.

What I do to increase my motivation:

-Walk away from my desk: I am not going to have quality study time if I try and force myself to work when I have no attention span and no motivation. Just the act of getting up and walking away feels like a big mental break!

-Do a task from my "non-school" to-do list: sometimes doing something mindless like vacuuming, a load of laundry while listening to a podcast makes you feel productive and also makes your space feel refreshed. My closet always needs to be organized :)

-Go for a walk or do a short work-out: such great things to clear your mind. Fresh air always feels very cleansing.

-This may seem obvious, but taking a bigger stretch of time to do something that really fills my cup. This should not be something you sporadically do when motivation and productivity is low, but something you always make more for in your day to day life. Making sure your cup is always full will negate the more extreme feelings of lack of motivation, in my experience. It can be really hard to do this in med school, or any school/career, so being intentional about your break time/me time/self love time will make doing your work and being a productive person, so much easier! I know it is easier said than done, but sometimes just saying it helps internalize it. 

I would love to hear how you deal with feeling unmotivated. We can all learn from each other here :)


As always,

#dontforgetyourpearls

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic

  Who else has been loving the  Coastal Grandmother aesthetic trend on TikTok? I've been very engrossed in this trend that is actually not at all trendy and a nod to classic style, which I LOVE. Classic summer style is one of my favorite facets of classic style- linen dresses and pants, sun hats, walks on the beach and lots of rosΓ©. This is literally me. And I consider myself a grandmillennial, so coastal grandmother is not too far off. Some may call it coast-grand-millennial ;) ALSO, a couple of weeks ago the Today Show did a segment on the trend, and featured a clip from one of my coastal gran TikToks! These are things you need to create your own coastal grandmother aesthetic, the coastal grandmother starter kit if you will. You probably have most of these things in your closet if you are a fellow classic style lover, like myself. So lets all live our lives as if we lived in a Nancy Meyers movie, and have the best coastal grandmother girl summer. Coast Grandmother Essentials: - B

What I Packed for Rhode Island

  I am SO excited to be back on the East Coast for a bit. Today, we are driving to Rhode Island to spend the long weekend and celebrate my cousin's 30th birthday (thirty, flirting and thriving, right?!). I have only been to Rhode Island on one other occasion, and that was a marching band trip where we marched in the oldest Fourth of July celebration in the country. Thinking back on that, it was a very surreal experience that I am grateful for, and I am even more excited to get to go back to that state and explore as an adult. As soon as I knew we would be going to Rhode Island, I thought about the outfits for the trip. It invoked a sense of the classic East Coast prep style that I already love so much, and so I took that as my packing inspiration! The Kiel James Patrick store/brand is based out of Newport, RI, so I will definitely be visiting and I had to leave room in my suitcase for some new KJP pieces. I haven't had to pack for travel in awhile, so I decided to take a new ap

Favorite Spots: St. Paul, MN

I have been thinking about Minnesota lately, and felt like reminiscing on some of my favorite spots in St. Paul, MN. Most people hear a city in Minnesota, and think Minneapolis. Although I love the treasures of Minneapolis, I went to college in St. Paul (Roll Toms πŸ˜ŠπŸ’œ), and lived there for 6 years, so it has a special place in my heart. First off, lets get familiar with this city. St. Paul is the state capitol of MN!! It is NOT Minneapolis as so many people think! It is the older of the Twin Cities, and I think has more charm. Its divided into neighborhoods like any other city, and some of the best spots, are little neighborhood gems. The Twin Cities are both equally "Foodie" places, and we love some craft breweries/distilleries, and good eats!! Grandview Theatre pictured above! Used to walk there during college just to get popcorn! Merriam Park University of St. Thomas - my alma matter! (I surprisingly do not have any good pics of UST..) Izzie's Ice Cre