Skip to main content

My Studying Essentials




Study Aesthetics are Important 😊

I spend a lot of my time studying. Way more than in undergrad because graduate classes are no joke. For each lecture, there are at least 50 slides, but usually more. Also, lectures are around an hour and 20 minutes, so that is not a lot of time to pack in ALL of the information. Science courses are also a bit more dense than other subjects.

My motto on studying is that you always need to be evolving and revising your study methods. What worked for you in high school is not going to work in college, and what worked in college is not necessarily going to work in graduate/professional school. This goes for your study methods AND study tools. I have only been back to school for 2 weeks, and I have rejuvenated the study tools I use for success, and have outline them below for you!!


1. My iPad and MacBook Air // Get techy! Don't forget the Apple Pencil!

My master's program actually gave us all iPads and Apple Pencils. Sounds ideal, right? It totally is, but we have to take all of our exams and quizzes through a software that is on the iPad, so less fun... But, I took this as an opportunity to reinvent some study methods, and have been loving it! I downloaded the app called Notability on day 1, and have been using it almost exclusively for note taking. You can download the lecture slides to the app, and then use the Apple Pencil to write directly on the slides. I have also downloaded some e-textbooks to it, and love that I can write and highlight all over the book without feeling like a vandal. This can all be connected back to your laptop, and that is exactly what I have been doing!

2. Erin Condren Life Planner // Keep it organized!

I love my planner. Like, I am completely in love with it!! I have been using Erin Condren since college, and it never lets me down. The amount of personalization you can give the planner is insane. The weekly view lets me make daily to-do lists, and the month view lets me see everything I have going on. There is even some coloring pages and space for notes in the back of the planner!! And it comes with stickers. I am in love.

3. Flair Pens // Make it pretty!

If you know me, then you know that I like to color code and coordinate everything. These have been my pen of choice since I was the age of 14. So this has been a 10 year pen commitment 😂, and I regret nothing. I use them in the planner, and have a different color for each class and activity. It is a way for me to visually see what I have for each class. I think I have every color of Flair pen made to this date, so it feel like I have endless color options (haha). I will also use them when I need to hand write notes while studying, and give different topics in each subjects different colors.

4. One folder // For the odds and ends!

I have been using one plain, two pocket folder to keep paper handouts, and notes I handwrite while studying. Only one of my classes distributed a paper syllabus, so that is in the folder. And, any flashcards or concepts maps I make are also tucked in there. It is a good essential to always have on hand, no matter what stage of education you are in.

5. Notecards // Memorize, memorize, memorize!

I have already had to make flashcards for my immunology/microbiology class. Like, wow! But, I had notecards, so it worked out. I am currently using blank cards (ones without lines), and it is working out nicely. I can write things and draw things without the lines distorted them. Always a good staple in your arsenal of study materials.

6. Noise Cancelling Headphones // When you need to ~focus~

I got free Beats when I bought my new laptop (I know, you are thinking that this girl has an insane amount of free expensive tech, but I technically paid for the iPad in tuition 😂). I was not sure how I felt about them, until I put them on my head, and realized that THEY ARE AMAZING. They sound great. They do cancel noise, but not to the extent like you feel like you are trapped in a sound proof room! They have been great to listen to lecture podcasts, and music in the background for studying.

7. Google Drive // Able to study from anywhere!

I used to do make note outlines on a word document, and then email them to myself if I was going to be using a different device. How cumbersome. I am glad that I have since discovered the effortlessness of Google Drive. It has been a life saver these past few weeks because I have not been bringing my laptop to class because I have the iPad. I also LOVE how you can make presentations and have spreadsheets on Drive. It makes collaborating on a project a lot easier.

This list would have been A LOT different a few years ago when I was starting my senior year of undergrad. I would have had notebooks and folders for every class, special pens for labs, pencils for exams, even more Flair pens to take notes with...you get the picture! I feel like I do not need as much of the traditional school supplies for grad school. However, it has only been a couple of weeks, so you never know where the rest of semester will take me.

Anything that you like to use for school and studying? Let me know!



As always,

#dontforgetyourpearls

Comments

  1. A planner and beautiful pencils is always a good idea!
    xo
    Anastasia
    http://www.natbees.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Thanksgiving Look

Turtleneck  |   Skirt  |   Tights  |   Boots Thanksgiving is only one week away! I am excited to go home, and spend time with my family and friends. This is a holiday that is HARD to dress for. On one hand, you want to wear joggers and a big sweater because of all of the yummy food and treats. On the other hand, you want to dress up, or slightly dress up while still feeling comfy. Hence, the big dressing dilemma: how to create the right look for your kind of holiday? I like to dress it up a little , without wearing a cocktail outfit or gown, haha. I created this look for a dressy, casual look. It is an easy outfit to put together, and I bet you have some similar pieces in your closet! A turtleneck, plaid skirt and tights is such a classic fall look that is also great for this holiday. It is kind of an easy dressing equation too because it is so easy to mix and match what you have in your closet, or buy one new piece that you know will go with an...

My Gal Meets Glam Collection

Hello! You might have already figured this out, but I have a serious obsession with every single Gal Meets Glam dress and collection . I feel like I am starting to grow quite the collection of the insanely beautiful dresses. I recently did a poll on my Instagram, and you guys said that you wanted to see my collection. I have compiled pictures from older posts, and from my iPhone to show you! I have purchased all of these on sale, or received them as gifts (thanks mom). I think getting them on sale is my secret for buying Gal Meets Glam dresses. They are 100% worth the investment, and will always be in style because they are such classic pieces and silhouettes. A new collection comes out about every month, and every month I look at it, and think: I want it all!! The next drop is March 13th, and I am so excited!! I have added the name of each dress below the picture. Because these are from the "older" collections, I cannot find most of the links. But here are my tips if you...

What I'm Loving (+ GIVEAWAY!!!)

Here is the first What I'm Loving of 2019! I've really been into some very classic pieces at the start of this new year, and loving some old favorites! Classic Tan Trench //  I had my eye on this one from J. Crew for a LONG time. The other week, it was 25% off, I had a J. Crew gift card, AND I had $15 dollars in J. Crew rewards money, so I HAD to get it!! I am obsessed, and I cannot wait to wear it on repeat this spring!! Here are some more cute options that are on good sale!!: Tan Trench 1 , Tan Trench 2 .  Simple Closet Staple Pieces // I have been on Pinterest pinning a lot of more classic staple pieces. Things like simple solid colored turtle necks and sweaters. I recently bought this sweater from Tuckernuck , and have been wearing it on repeat! It is so easy to style well, and style differently. I recently wore it with black watch plaid pants and loafers. Loafers are another classic piece that I recently added to my wardrobe. My mom surprised me, and sent me these...