Skip to main content

5 Back to School Tips

 

I cannot believe it is back to school time, already. It is also very strange that I am not going back to school this year...As I assume that most people are starting back up on Zoom University (or have mostly online classes) this fall, I have put together some of my best tips that will ensure a successful semester. I mostly geared these toward college/graduate/professional students, but hope I can appeal to all ages and maybe even you guys in the working world!

Dress  |  Similar Scrunchie  |  Bedding (on sale!)


1. Check your email frequently.

This is something easy you can do to make sure you do not miss any information about the courses you are taking, and updates from school, in general. Be ready for anything as 2020 has become the year of the unexpected, and getting in the habit of frequently checking your email will keep you in the loop. 

2. Don't forget to Network.

It may be easy to think that you do not need to go to office hours or make appointments with professors because of the pandemic. But, there is a lot of resources out there to network in a non-traditional sense, such as to have a video chat or even old-fashioned phone call. Try not to let these unprecedented circumstances derail your goals and aspirations. If you want to do research with a particular professor, reach out and suggest a "coffee date" over Zoom. If you are interested in a certain career path or field, just ask if they have time to chat with you for a bit over the phone. It is scary to take initiate, but doing it and not waiting will benefit you in the future! Remember that you will still need a job, or letter recommendation when you graduate, and even though we're in a pandemic, connections matter.

3. Stay Organized.

Make a system for organization before your classes start (if they haven't already). I know, especially in graduate school, the shear amount of slides, handouts, e-books, and resources you get per lecture. It can add up quickly, especially with everything being electronic, it can just get messy. I use an app called Notability (on a tablet and laptop) where you can make folders and tabs for each class's materials. As soon as you download the slides or handout, immediately same them to the respective folder. This way you will always be able to find what you need, and you will not be scrolling through all of your downloads. Google Drive is another great resource and it is free!

4. Make a schedule and stick to it as best you can.

Having a schedule of when you have class, and when you are going to study is really helpful. It gives structure and routine to your days, and you will probably be more productive when it is your time to be "on." It definitely gives some predictability to your days, and that is something we all need right now. Control what you can control. This could be easier said than done, especially if you are at home, and your desk is in your bedroom! Do not be tempted to crawl back into bed, and don't get in the habit of always working from bed!

5. Dress yourself for class!

My last tip is to get dressed. This is for if you have all online classes or a hybrid of online and in person. If you dress yourself, you will feel more attentive in class than if you were just in your jammies. This way you also look like your prepared and ready, which professors really appreciate. It can be something as easy as jeans and a sweater, or a simple dress. I'd take a nice shirt or sweater, and joggers for bottoms. Just get dressed for you, your confidence and your mental health!

Feel free to ask me any questions, and read my other Work/Study/Productivity posts!


Shop the Post:

Dress  |  Similar Scrunchie  |  Bedding (on sale!)


As always,


#dontforgetyourpearls

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Thanksgiving Look

Turtleneck  |   Skirt  |   Tights  |   Boots Thanksgiving is only one week away! I am excited to go home, and spend time with my family and friends. This is a holiday that is HARD to dress for. On one hand, you want to wear joggers and a big sweater because of all of the yummy food and treats. On the other hand, you want to dress up, or slightly dress up while still feeling comfy. Hence, the big dressing dilemma: how to create the right look for your kind of holiday? I like to dress it up a little , without wearing a cocktail outfit or gown, haha. I created this look for a dressy, casual look. It is an easy outfit to put together, and I bet you have some similar pieces in your closet! A turtleneck, plaid skirt and tights is such a classic fall look that is also great for this holiday. It is kind of an easy dressing equation too because it is so easy to mix and match what you have in your closet, or buy one new piece that you know will go with an...

My Gal Meets Glam Collection

Hello! You might have already figured this out, but I have a serious obsession with every single Gal Meets Glam dress and collection . I feel like I am starting to grow quite the collection of the insanely beautiful dresses. I recently did a poll on my Instagram, and you guys said that you wanted to see my collection. I have compiled pictures from older posts, and from my iPhone to show you! I have purchased all of these on sale, or received them as gifts (thanks mom). I think getting them on sale is my secret for buying Gal Meets Glam dresses. They are 100% worth the investment, and will always be in style because they are such classic pieces and silhouettes. A new collection comes out about every month, and every month I look at it, and think: I want it all!! The next drop is March 13th, and I am so excited!! I have added the name of each dress below the picture. Because these are from the "older" collections, I cannot find most of the links. But here are my tips if you...

What I'm Loving (+ GIVEAWAY!!!)

Here is the first What I'm Loving of 2019! I've really been into some very classic pieces at the start of this new year, and loving some old favorites! Classic Tan Trench //  I had my eye on this one from J. Crew for a LONG time. The other week, it was 25% off, I had a J. Crew gift card, AND I had $15 dollars in J. Crew rewards money, so I HAD to get it!! I am obsessed, and I cannot wait to wear it on repeat this spring!! Here are some more cute options that are on good sale!!: Tan Trench 1 , Tan Trench 2 .  Simple Closet Staple Pieces // I have been on Pinterest pinning a lot of more classic staple pieces. Things like simple solid colored turtle necks and sweaters. I recently bought this sweater from Tuckernuck , and have been wearing it on repeat! It is so easy to style well, and style differently. I recently wore it with black watch plaid pants and loafers. Loafers are another classic piece that I recently added to my wardrobe. My mom surprised me, and sent me these...