Skip to main content

My Daily Routine

 



I have always been someone who thrives off of a routine. I think that's why I loved going to school as a child because the whole day was a one big routine, aha. I also love reading about and watching other people's daily routines because it feels oddly calming to me. I thought it would be fun to share my daily routine in medical school. Hint: there's A LOT of studying! I also hope this can help if you are struggling finding a routine, or are looking to change yours. Mine is not the that ground breaking, but it works for me.


Wake-up around 5:30am: I like to have time in the morning, and not wake up and feel completely rushed out the door. I usually make coffee and sit on the couch for a few minutes to just enjoy it. That is always the best part of the morning! I also wash my face or body shower or full shower with a hair wash.

At 6ish to 6:50am, I wake up my brain, and do a study review. I've been doing my Anki cards for the day in the morning because I feel the most fresh, and retain a lot more and learn better from answers I get wrong. (Anki is like flashcards/Quizlet on steroids for medical school and medical boards studying. I don't make my own cards, but can share decks I like if you are also in med school!)

Next, is breakfast time. Breakfast is my favorite meal, I think. Ok, cheeseboard is my favorite meal, but that can be a brunch thing, therefore breakfast. I usually make avocado toast or an omelette. Sometimes I will do oatmeal or have leftover pancakes from the weekend, but a majority of the time its avocado toast or omelettes. After breakfast, I clean up and head to campus.

Lectures are from 8-12. Some days we have anatomy lab in the morning, so there is less lecture and a few hours in lab. I am a big proponent of going to lecture in person. For one, we are allowed to go in person wearing a mask, and I am taking advantage of this in case we have to go virtual. Secondly, I learn better in person, rather than watching the lecture podcast later, because it forces me to focus and keep my attention on the lecture.

The afternoon schedule varies from day to day, but generally we have them clear to study, with the exception of a couple hour labs and one lecture. I start studying by taking the lectures from that day, and outlining them. I use to type my outlines and then write all over them, and then make a hand written condensed form, but I do NOT have the time for that. Instead, I have been hand writing my outlines/study guides in Notability on my iPad. I will also activate Anki cards that were the subject of the day's lectures. If I am done outlining, I will start some practice questions or quizzes. sThis usually takes me to about 5-6pm (or later).

I try to break up the afternoon into evening studying with dinner, which I eat on the couch watching whatever I am currently binge watching. Currently it is Friends and Gilmore Girls. I recently got a Peloton bike, so I am trying to incorporate a ride in every other day. This has been falling in the afternoon break before dinner, or I push dinner back a bit later, and when I am done studying I can just do a spin class, eat dinner and call it a night.

I go back to the books for another our or so, depending on what time I ate dinner, and if I am feeling behind or not.  I try to do the new Anki cards or do practice questions or review any practice quizzes or questions I did earlier. 

The evening wind down starts at about 8pm. I like to put my pajamas on, have a little something sweet for dessert, and cuddle on the couch to start clearing my mind. I will probably throw on Netflix, and maybe make a cup of tea.

I am in bed by 9 or 9:30 where I get some recreational reading in, and hope I can fall asleep in time to get a good 8 hours. I am currently reading the new Elin Hilderbrand book, and its oh so good! Then I wake up again, bright and early, and do it all over again. I am going to be honest and say that I am kind of brain fried by the time Friday comes around.


This is the general structure to my week days. I am not that structured on the weekends, haha. Do you like this much routine or structure, or do you take the day as it comes? I love my structure but I do try to take things as they come during the day to account for afternoon labs, lectures or just life. I am not too hard on myself either. I do get up for small breaks, frequently, when I am doing a big block of study time! Balance between being me a med student and me a person is something I think a lot about, too because I want to avoid any kind of extreme burnout. I think I will write a post about balance later this semester, and do an updated study methods!

As always,

#dontforgetyourpearls


SHOP THE POST:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic

  Who else has been loving the  Coastal Grandmother aesthetic trend on TikTok? I've been very engrossed in this trend that is actually not at all trendy and a nod to classic style, which I LOVE. Classic summer style is one of my favorite facets of classic style- linen dresses and pants, sun hats, walks on the beach and lots of rosΓ©. This is literally me. And I consider myself a grandmillennial, so coastal grandmother is not too far off. Some may call it coast-grand-millennial ;) ALSO, a couple of weeks ago the Today Show did a segment on the trend, and featured a clip from one of my coastal gran TikToks! These are things you need to create your own coastal grandmother aesthetic, the coastal grandmother starter kit if you will. You probably have most of these things in your closet if you are a fellow classic style lover, like myself. So lets all live our lives as if we lived in a Nancy Meyers movie, and have the best coastal grandmother girl summer. Coast Grandmother Essentials: - B

What I Packed for Rhode Island

  I am SO excited to be back on the East Coast for a bit. Today, we are driving to Rhode Island to spend the long weekend and celebrate my cousin's 30th birthday (thirty, flirting and thriving, right?!). I have only been to Rhode Island on one other occasion, and that was a marching band trip where we marched in the oldest Fourth of July celebration in the country. Thinking back on that, it was a very surreal experience that I am grateful for, and I am even more excited to get to go back to that state and explore as an adult. As soon as I knew we would be going to Rhode Island, I thought about the outfits for the trip. It invoked a sense of the classic East Coast prep style that I already love so much, and so I took that as my packing inspiration! The Kiel James Patrick store/brand is based out of Newport, RI, so I will definitely be visiting and I had to leave room in my suitcase for some new KJP pieces. I haven't had to pack for travel in awhile, so I decided to take a new ap

Favorite Spots: St. Paul, MN

I have been thinking about Minnesota lately, and felt like reminiscing on some of my favorite spots in St. Paul, MN. Most people hear a city in Minnesota, and think Minneapolis. Although I love the treasures of Minneapolis, I went to college in St. Paul (Roll Toms πŸ˜ŠπŸ’œ), and lived there for 6 years, so it has a special place in my heart. First off, lets get familiar with this city. St. Paul is the state capitol of MN!! It is NOT Minneapolis as so many people think! It is the older of the Twin Cities, and I think has more charm. Its divided into neighborhoods like any other city, and some of the best spots, are little neighborhood gems. The Twin Cities are both equally "Foodie" places, and we love some craft breweries/distilleries, and good eats!! Grandview Theatre pictured above! Used to walk there during college just to get popcorn! Merriam Park University of St. Thomas - my alma matter! (I surprisingly do not have any good pics of UST..) Izzie's Ice Cre