Skip to main content

Finding Motivation

 


Happy Tuesday! I normally post on Mondays, but we had yesterday off from school, so I decided to push back my post for the "first" day in my week. Since starting medical school, I have been thinking more about productivity and motivation. I think everyone has their ups and downs with these two, but as a professional student, I notice them more. I am not always 100% motivated, which is probably pretty normal, and that is ok! It is hard being a med student (or any other student, or in any career), and living in this world that hustle culture has become so prevalent. 

It has become easier for me to recognize when motivation is low. I think this is a good tool to have for yourself, so you can start to learn a better balance of productivity and mental rest. It is definitely hard to take care of low motivation in medical school when there is always something you can be learning, studying and reviewing. I am making it a point to take breaks and have better balance, and you should too. Burnout is real in the healthcare field, and really any other field. I am not saying it is 100% preventable, but you can take the little time to start to recognize when you are feeling it.

Here is when I know that motivation is low, and I am feeling burnt out:

-I have no attention span to do anything or study.

-I keep getting the same practice question or Anki (med school flashcard) card wrong.

-I can only work for so long before I feel like I have brain fog (I call this feeling "not having a brain", haha).

There is probably more here, and you could probably think of some for yourself if you dig deep, but these are the big ones.

What I do to increase my motivation:

-Walk away from my desk: I am not going to have quality study time if I try and force myself to work when I have no attention span and no motivation. Just the act of getting up and walking away feels like a big mental break!

-Do a task from my "non-school" to-do list: sometimes doing something mindless like vacuuming, a load of laundry while listening to a podcast makes you feel productive and also makes your space feel refreshed. My closet always needs to be organized :)

-Go for a walk or do a short work-out: such great things to clear your mind. Fresh air always feels very cleansing.

-This may seem obvious, but taking a bigger stretch of time to do something that really fills my cup. This should not be something you sporadically do when motivation and productivity is low, but something you always make more for in your day to day life. Making sure your cup is always full will negate the more extreme feelings of lack of motivation, in my experience. It can be really hard to do this in med school, or any school/career, so being intentional about your break time/me time/self love time will make doing your work and being a productive person, so much easier! I know it is easier said than done, but sometimes just saying it helps internalize it. 

I would love to hear how you deal with feeling unmotivated. We can all learn from each other here :)


As always,

#dontforgetyourpearls

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Thanksgiving Look

Turtleneck  |   Skirt  |   Tights  |   Boots Thanksgiving is only one week away! I am excited to go home, and spend time with my family and friends. This is a holiday that is HARD to dress for. On one hand, you want to wear joggers and a big sweater because of all of the yummy food and treats. On the other hand, you want to dress up, or slightly dress up while still feeling comfy. Hence, the big dressing dilemma: how to create the right look for your kind of holiday? I like to dress it up a little , without wearing a cocktail outfit or gown, haha. I created this look for a dressy, casual look. It is an easy outfit to put together, and I bet you have some similar pieces in your closet! A turtleneck, plaid skirt and tights is such a classic fall look that is also great for this holiday. It is kind of an easy dressing equation too because it is so easy to mix and match what you have in your closet, or buy one new piece that you know will go with an...

My Gal Meets Glam Collection

Hello! You might have already figured this out, but I have a serious obsession with every single Gal Meets Glam dress and collection . I feel like I am starting to grow quite the collection of the insanely beautiful dresses. I recently did a poll on my Instagram, and you guys said that you wanted to see my collection. I have compiled pictures from older posts, and from my iPhone to show you! I have purchased all of these on sale, or received them as gifts (thanks mom). I think getting them on sale is my secret for buying Gal Meets Glam dresses. They are 100% worth the investment, and will always be in style because they are such classic pieces and silhouettes. A new collection comes out about every month, and every month I look at it, and think: I want it all!! The next drop is March 13th, and I am so excited!! I have added the name of each dress below the picture. Because these are from the "older" collections, I cannot find most of the links. But here are my tips if you...

What I'm Loving (+ GIVEAWAY!!!)

Here is the first What I'm Loving of 2019! I've really been into some very classic pieces at the start of this new year, and loving some old favorites! Classic Tan Trench //  I had my eye on this one from J. Crew for a LONG time. The other week, it was 25% off, I had a J. Crew gift card, AND I had $15 dollars in J. Crew rewards money, so I HAD to get it!! I am obsessed, and I cannot wait to wear it on repeat this spring!! Here are some more cute options that are on good sale!!: Tan Trench 1 , Tan Trench 2 .  Simple Closet Staple Pieces // I have been on Pinterest pinning a lot of more classic staple pieces. Things like simple solid colored turtle necks and sweaters. I recently bought this sweater from Tuckernuck , and have been wearing it on repeat! It is so easy to style well, and style differently. I recently wore it with black watch plaid pants and loafers. Loafers are another classic piece that I recently added to my wardrobe. My mom surprised me, and sent me these...