Skip to main content

Intense Study Guide- Part 1

After 4 years of undergrad, and one year of grad school with a semester to go, I have come to be a ~somewhat~ expert on study routines. About one year ago, I posted my study methods, and you guys seemed to like it, and find it helpful! In the past year, I have made a few adjustments, but really honed in more on what works for me. I have survived grad school (so far, haha), and will graduate with a really good GPA (not to brag, just to appeal to you that I have some great study tips!). Since it has been about a year, I thought that I would give my most detailed, updated study tips/guide I can give you. I still want to emphasize that what has worked for me, might not work for you, so if you need some study inspo, this is perfect. Or, if, you are totally lost in the study game like I was once, this could give a great starting point!


*Also this is part 1 of 2!! Part 2 will come out shortly after this one, and I will be answering your study questions, so send them my way please! I put a question box on my Instagram story a week ago, and have some good ones, but would LOVE to answer more!!*

One // Preview Lecture before going.
If you take away anything from this, please let it be this. Previewing has been a life and time saver for me. It is helpful to know what lecture is about to prime your brain and thinking about the topic before going to class. It can help you stay engaged during lecture, which also means you can hold your attention span for all of class. 
*How to Preview= I usually look at all of the slides, and make an outline of the lecture/notes on Google Docs. But you can also just look at the slides/handouts/reading, and write down questions you may have. Preview can be as long or as short as you want it to be. I do a more extensive preview because it saves me time after class when I am putting notes together, and actually studying.

Two // Go to lecture.
This is pretty easy. Just attend lecture, especially if you school does not record them for you to listen to later. If you are paying for tuition, get your money's worth and just go to class! It is better to go than to rely on a classmate for what you missed, trust me!

Three // Take Good Notes!
Like preview, good notes can save you, AND your really good preview should encourage good note taking 😊. With this said, it can be difficult to navigate what are good notes to take. This is something that took me a long time to work on. You might have the urge to write every single thing down that your professors says. This will just not work; you will miss important things while you right random details down, and you will get behind during lecture (at least I have). 
*How to take good notes= I have an iPad and Apple Pencil, and I download the slides to my iPad using Notability, and take notes directly on the slides -this has not changed in the past year-. When taking notes, do not write down anything that is already on the slides in front of you.
- I always try to hand write notes in some way because I feel like it helps you learn it better.
- For the actual notes to write- you honestly may not need to write much because everything you need to know should be on the slides/handouts/readings etc.
- Underlining and highlighting the points on the slides that the professor emphasizes or spends a lot of time on is good because that is most likely important!
- If you have any figures in you lectures, this is when you SHOULD write everything down because a figure/graph etc., has a whole story that needs to be understood, and you need to know how to interpret and read said story.
- You should also try to figure out and know how your professor tests because they might like to test on minute details they say in lecture, so may need to pay close attention to them and note taking.

Four // Post lecture organization.
Since I like to do a thorough preview, and make an outline of notes, this part is easy because I just fill in the gaps with notes/images/details from lecture. At this step, I try to condense note: subtract anything that was not a main point or helps to clarify a learning objective, and add things that the professor emphasized, or actually added, during lecture. If the order of topics in lecture did not make sense to you, i.e.- how your prof organized it is not how you would have-- absolutely rearrange the notes so it makes sense to you!! After you are done with this, print off that lecture, or have it in a form where you can mark it up.


Five // Reviewing- a lot. 
After I print off of a lecture, I go back to it with multiple colors of highlighters, and a pen to annotate the notes. This is simply giving me another pass at the information. This also starts to condense the information in my brain because I have seen it so many times, and am now adding color and a few extra details. This is done for each lecture. You essentially review each lecture more this way, so when it comes close to exams, you will have more info in your brain than you think! This is where I will also make tables or flashcards if I am trying to straight up memorize facts. (This was helpful for microbiology and pharmacology for me.) So you have notes AND flashcards or tables to review, review, review and this= seeing the information in different ways many times= it will stick in your brain. If you took any quizzes during the unit, review those too/incorporate them into your notes!
*Tips on color coding= When going through the notes, each topic gets a new color highlighter to highlight with. After I have cycled through all of my colors, I just start at the top again. SO some topics will have the same colors, but the fact that is colorful is more helpful for my brain than to stick to one color per general topic that may have many sub topics because this will end up looking all the same if you use the same color and your brain will not be able to tell the difference.

Six // Exam time.
When it is crunch time for exams make what I call "study sheets." This is the most condensed form of notes that you *hand write* on a blank sheet of paper. I first like to test myself and do it from memory, and then go back and fill in things I missed. I will write concepts, draw my own figures, and make lists. Again, this is so you have the information in a variety of different ways (and hopefully colors!), so that you will retain it, and know it, and know how to use and apply the knowledge.
This is also the time to do ALL of the practice questions. This is how you practice application! Also, do not just do the questions, but REVIEW them in depth. Look at what you got wrong, and why you got it wrong, and the reasoning behind each question and answers. But, do it for the ones you got right too; you should be able to logic through why the wrong answers are wrong, and why the right answer is right. Thinking of questions you think could be asked is also good to put yourself in the mind of the test maker, which can be half the battle. Re-taking quizzes, if you can, is also super helpful for more questions. On more than one exam, a professor has re-used quiz questions, so those can be easy points for you!
By the the time the exam comes, you should be ready to use your knowledge!


*General tips during the whole process=
1. Ask questions if you feel stuck and do not understand something.
2. If a study method is not working, tweak it, but do not completely change, and do a 180 in the middle of studying because you can waste time, and will not retain as much. Make big changes after an exam, for studying for the next one.
3. Your classmates are usually the best resources.
4. Make sure to learn about yourself, and what works for you along the way.
5. Studying for a shorter amount of time every day is more beneficial than studying for hours and hours less often (I am so guilty of doing this, ahah).
6. Cramming 30 minutes before an exam usually does not work. At that point, you know what you know, and have to accept that.
7. Make it fun!! That's why I use a lot of colors, and methods, and have a study playlist to listen to!
8. Coffee helps, but do not forget to fuel your brain well and drink water.

Wow, this a long one, but worth it!!

As always,

#dontforgetyourpearls

Comments

  1. Very good tips !

    http://www.fruityandpassion.com/2019/10/london-fashion-week-recap.html#more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Thank you so much, Diane!! Have a great day! :)
      xx Libby

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic

  Who else has been loving the  Coastal Grandmother aesthetic trend on TikTok? I've been very engrossed in this trend that is actually not at all trendy and a nod to classic style, which I LOVE. Classic summer style is one of my favorite facets of classic style- linen dresses and pants, sun hats, walks on the beach and lots of rosé. This is literally me. And I consider myself a grandmillennial, so coastal grandmother is not too far off. Some may call it coast-grand-millennial ;) ALSO, a couple of weeks ago the Today Show did a segment on the trend, and featured a clip from one of my coastal gran TikToks! These are things you need to create your own coastal grandmother aesthetic, the coastal grandmother starter kit if you will. You probably have most of these things in your closet if you are a fellow classic style lover, like myself. So lets all live our lives as if we lived in a Nancy Meyers movie, and have the best coastal grandmother girl summer. Coast Grandmother Essentials: - B

What I Packed for Rhode Island

  I am SO excited to be back on the East Coast for a bit. Today, we are driving to Rhode Island to spend the long weekend and celebrate my cousin's 30th birthday (thirty, flirting and thriving, right?!). I have only been to Rhode Island on one other occasion, and that was a marching band trip where we marched in the oldest Fourth of July celebration in the country. Thinking back on that, it was a very surreal experience that I am grateful for, and I am even more excited to get to go back to that state and explore as an adult. As soon as I knew we would be going to Rhode Island, I thought about the outfits for the trip. It invoked a sense of the classic East Coast prep style that I already love so much, and so I took that as my packing inspiration! The Kiel James Patrick store/brand is based out of Newport, RI, so I will definitely be visiting and I had to leave room in my suitcase for some new KJP pieces. I haven't had to pack for travel in awhile, so I decided to take a new ap

Favorite Spots: St. Paul, MN

I have been thinking about Minnesota lately, and felt like reminiscing on some of my favorite spots in St. Paul, MN. Most people hear a city in Minnesota, and think Minneapolis. Although I love the treasures of Minneapolis, I went to college in St. Paul (Roll Toms 😊💜), and lived there for 6 years, so it has a special place in my heart. First off, lets get familiar with this city. St. Paul is the state capitol of MN!! It is NOT Minneapolis as so many people think! It is the older of the Twin Cities, and I think has more charm. Its divided into neighborhoods like any other city, and some of the best spots, are little neighborhood gems. The Twin Cities are both equally "Foodie" places, and we love some craft breweries/distilleries, and good eats!! Grandview Theatre pictured above! Used to walk there during college just to get popcorn! Merriam Park University of St. Thomas - my alma matter! (I surprisingly do not have any good pics of UST..) Izzie's Ice Cre