Skip to main content

Intense Study Guide- Part 2: Q and A


I am here with Part 2 of my study tips/guide -here is Part 1 if you missed it. This post is the Q + A! You guys asked questions about studying and learning on my Instagram, and I picked some common ones to answer! If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out because I would love to help answer and guide you in your studying! Also, you do not need to be a student to want to study better! πŸ˜‰

1. How do you retain all of the information?
From my experience, this comes best by getting multiple passes at the information. Such as when you preview lecture, and then go to lecture, add to your preview, and make study sheets. That is four times of seeing the information, so something is bound to stick in your brain! Repetition also helps. I find that some topics need flashcards, and going through the flashcards multiple times is a great way to learn the info, and retain because you are looking at it many times. 

2. Help with color coding!!
I think I kind of touched on this in my guide, but I really do not have a specific system in color coding. I simply switch colors when I switch topics or concepts while studying! I do, however, color code in my planner: I pick one color pen per class, activity, or what ever. For example, I use green for physiology, blue for embryology, pink for blog things, and purple for most other things like plans, travel, etc. Color is a good way to compartmentalize topics and details in your brain. You may remember something better if you remember that it was in

3. How to stay focused?
This can be HARD for me. I am sooo tempted by my phone some days. So I will put it on do not disturb mode, so I do not hear the notifications nor hear the vibrations. If that is not cutting it, I will put it in my desk drawer to be out of sight, out of mind. I will also set goals for studying in a day, and if I am not close to my goal because of my wandering mind, this will motivate me to stay focused, and get the tasks done. 

4. How to best time your study sessions, and add in breaks?
I *try* to study by a rule of 45-50 minutes of uninterrupted study time, and then 10-15 minutes of break time every hour. I find myself loosing focus fast if I try to power through for hours without letting myself take a break. This does work for me well. If I am nearing the 45 minute mark of study time, and I feel in the zone, and do not want to ruin the flow, then I will extend the study and break time. During breaks, I will grab a snack, responds to messages/emails/Instagram notifications, or do something physical. Resting your brain periodically throughout the day can help with retaining info!

5. Time management help!!
I think I am getting good at this. I LOVE a good to-do list, and the planner I have has a spot for a list on every day (my planner). I also know how long it takes me to do certain things, so I can a lot for this during my days. If I feel like I am behind in studying, then I need to adjust and make cuts to the daily to-do list. I am dabbling in time blocking, but do not want to set anything in stone because I am figuring out a more concrete routine. Routines are actually another way to better manage your time. If this is something that works for you, then I encourage you to sit down, and think about your daily routines, and figure out timing and scheduling from that!

I hope these answers are helpful!! Again, I would love to answer questions, and help you hone in on your study routine and habits!


As always,

#dontforgetyourpearls

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic

  Who else has been loving the  Coastal Grandmother aesthetic trend on TikTok? I've been very engrossed in this trend that is actually not at all trendy and a nod to classic style, which I LOVE. Classic summer style is one of my favorite facets of classic style- linen dresses and pants, sun hats, walks on the beach and lots of rosΓ©. This is literally me. And I consider myself a grandmillennial, so coastal grandmother is not too far off. Some may call it coast-grand-millennial ;) ALSO, a couple of weeks ago the Today Show did a segment on the trend, and featured a clip from one of my coastal gran TikToks! These are things you need to create your own coastal grandmother aesthetic, the coastal grandmother starter kit if you will. You probably have most of these things in your closet if you are a fellow classic style lover, like myself. So lets all live our lives as if we lived in a Nancy Meyers movie, and have the best coastal grandmother girl summer. Coast Grandmother Essentials: - B

What I Packed for Rhode Island

  I am SO excited to be back on the East Coast for a bit. Today, we are driving to Rhode Island to spend the long weekend and celebrate my cousin's 30th birthday (thirty, flirting and thriving, right?!). I have only been to Rhode Island on one other occasion, and that was a marching band trip where we marched in the oldest Fourth of July celebration in the country. Thinking back on that, it was a very surreal experience that I am grateful for, and I am even more excited to get to go back to that state and explore as an adult. As soon as I knew we would be going to Rhode Island, I thought about the outfits for the trip. It invoked a sense of the classic East Coast prep style that I already love so much, and so I took that as my packing inspiration! The Kiel James Patrick store/brand is based out of Newport, RI, so I will definitely be visiting and I had to leave room in my suitcase for some new KJP pieces. I haven't had to pack for travel in awhile, so I decided to take a new ap

Favorite Spots: St. Paul, MN

I have been thinking about Minnesota lately, and felt like reminiscing on some of my favorite spots in St. Paul, MN. Most people hear a city in Minnesota, and think Minneapolis. Although I love the treasures of Minneapolis, I went to college in St. Paul (Roll Toms πŸ˜ŠπŸ’œ), and lived there for 6 years, so it has a special place in my heart. First off, lets get familiar with this city. St. Paul is the state capitol of MN!! It is NOT Minneapolis as so many people think! It is the older of the Twin Cities, and I think has more charm. Its divided into neighborhoods like any other city, and some of the best spots, are little neighborhood gems. The Twin Cities are both equally "Foodie" places, and we love some craft breweries/distilleries, and good eats!! Grandview Theatre pictured above! Used to walk there during college just to get popcorn! Merriam Park University of St. Thomas - my alma matter! (I surprisingly do not have any good pics of UST..) Izzie's Ice Cre